The Public Domain Calculator is based on extensive research by the Institute for Information Law (IViR) of the University of Amsterdam.
- The creation of the Calculators relied on responses by National Experts to the Term of Protection Questionnaire prepared by IViR.
- The scope of the legal certainty of the Public Domain Calculators and the conclusions drawn from the legal research are analysed in detail in the Term of Protection Report.
- The research documentation and questionaire responses are documented in Public Domain Calculator - Report and Documentation.
The final results of the research can be downloaded below in the form of flowcharts and guiding texts. The flowcharts are made using the free flowchart tool yEd. A poster (1mx2m) with all 30 flowcharts is also availble (25MB).
The construction of the calculators resulted in the publication of the following articles:
- C. Angelopoulos, “Determining the Term of Protection for Films: When Does a Film Fall into the Public Domain in Europe?” IRIS Plus, 2012-2.
- C. Angelopoulos, “The Myth of European Term Harmonisation – 27 Public Domains for 27 Member States”, IIC: International Review of Intellectual Property and Competition Law (2012) Vol. 43, No.5, p. 567-594, available on beck-online.
All media about the Public Domain Calculator on OutOfCopyright.eu is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Netherlands License.